MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes

Smart : 2008 smart car 65,000 miles, click in drive

Customer Question

2008 smart car 65,000 miles, click in drive train, suspect CV joint, how do I check
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Smart Car.If the car is with you now, you should drive to an open area where you can perform a very tight turn, from a complete stop and with the wheel fully turned, accelerate aggressively and listen for any clicks or popping. Do this both clockwise and counterclockwise. If you hear clicking or popping, then a CV joint is bad.Does this make sense?
Were you able to see my last reply?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Slight clicking and thumping 5-20 mph. None at an acute angle. When lifted the left tire seems to be a bit higher noise upon engagement than the right
Does the noise change if you drive in a slalom pattern?