Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

Atego: key is not working after i change the trucks comput

Customer Question

key is not working after i change the trucks computer
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
HI,Ok, did you install a new or used ECU and did you program it to your vehicle using a MB STAR scan tool?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the wire does not fit the programming tool and on the dashboard it ask me for a code
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
a used ecu and could program it because the wire for scan tool dose not fit this truck is in somalia and am hear in dubai all i can do is ask because the truck is in the middle of no wear what can be done.
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
HI, Mercedes control modules are VIN specific and when you install a used one with another vehicle's vin number, it sets the immobilizer and wont recognize the key Your choices are to send the original ECU out for repair, or find a way to get the existing one in it now programmed. There is no other way around it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok so the used one can be programmed to the old key.
if i plan on getting a new one how will it work with the old key
if i decide to fix they old one where would it best be fixed
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
Hi, yes, with a MB star scan tool. A new one would also need to be programmed. As to where to send the original one, I am not sure for the UAE, here in the USA we have to send them out to speciality shops that do nothing but ECU rebuilds
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
so just to make things clear the used one i have put in the car can be programmed to the old keys?
if i ask you to send me a mb star tool how much would that cost me?
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
HI, Correct. I am not a parts/tools supplier. I paid just over $5000 US dollars for mine and that was a few years ago. You would need to visit a Mercedes dealer site and order one
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i just have received information the it is impossible to re program a used ecu with a new vin number is ***** true ?
there is a sign on the dashboard which is asking for a code is there anyway i could enter a number and this would work to get the car into at least a city this one sounds retarded but its out of desperate measures