Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a Benz 1989 300SE. When traveling 65MPH the runs at

Customer Question

I have a Benz 1989 300SE. When traveling 65MPH the runs at 3400 RPM, that seems high to me. The car sifts at 20-25 MPH and again at 30-40 MPH. Does this car model start out in second gear?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Depends on the fix.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercedes Mechanic should know about your Mercedes?
Customer: VIN # *****
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.
Hi, yes the 89 300SE starts in 2nd and shifts twice into 3rd and 4th gear. All of the older model sedans had a very high engine rpm when cruising. What you are experiencing is normal.Let me know if you need anything else. Please remember to rate my service as this is the only way that I can receive credit from the website for helping you.Marty