Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.

E550: I just paid almost $3000. to have my Mercedes repaired,

Customer Question

I just paid almost $3000. to have my Mercedes repaired, it would not start. I took it to an authorized dealer and this is what they said. Found all CPA sensors down not reading, possibility these are taking down can system. Disconnected them, still no start. checked fuse for starter. OK. Checked power and control side of relay. Both OK. Checked back side of fuse block. OK. Checked power and ground at starter. Not OK. Found cororsion at main power to starter. Also found ground cable was defective. Battery not OK. replaced starter. replaced both harnesses. Replaced relay, replaced battery. vehicle now starts. After all of this, approximately a month or 2 later the car would not start. Now they are saying CPA sensors and harnesses are need to be replaced. How many sensors and harnesses are there and if the harnesses are damaged does that mean the the sensors are damaged also. They are talking about $2300. more in repairs
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 6 months ago.
Hello, there is 1 crank sensor and 4 camshaft position sensors if that is what they are calling the CPA sensors. as far as the harness that is odd to want to replace the engine harness. it almost seems to me as they do not know what the issue is and they are guessing, did they supply you with part numbers ? they should be able to give you a detailed estimate with labor cost and part cost and part number breakdown. if you can get that to me as well as a code printout of the car that would help me help you . Lou P.