Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

E500: , i have Mercedes E500 2006, jappan spec. i noticed

Customer Question

Hi, i have Mercedes E500 2006, jappan spec. i noticed a heavy smoke coming from driver side,after i switched the engine off for 15 minutes. the smoke was coming just exactly below the headlights, like 0.5 mtr, very hardly to see the exact place. My first thought was the air suspension or the penumatic system. Then i switched on the car, i push the raise bottom and the car started to go up and the smoke sttoped. i drove it for 10 minutes and then i parked it at house for 4 hours. When i came back i notice the rear tyers air suspension is down, the front looks fine and the suspension error appeared on the screen. Now my question , what could be wrong with the air suspension?, is it safe or OK to drive the car as long as the tyers are not touching ? even if i dont want to fix it?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 7 months ago.
Hello, it sounds like the air compressor is burnt up, i would not suggest driving the car as the air suspension can lower at anytime and cause issues. most likely the relay has stuck closed and caused the compressor to run until it burnt up , again i do not recommend driving until the car is repaired, it will have to be repaired at one point or converted to the spring suspension. that is the only options. hope this helps. Lou P. Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.