Kevin, Master tech
Experience:  Diagnostic technician

I have a 2006 280 SKL with codes P0016, P0017, P0410 "twice.

Customer Question

I have a 2006 280 SKL with codes P0016, P0017, P0410 "twice. My engine light comes on even if my car is running good. How expensive are the repairs. Suggestions?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My engine light has stayed on a few days after my purchase a year and half ago. I want to sell the car and want to know if repairing it is too expensive and I should sell it as is?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have someone that repairs Mercedes that will.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercedes Mechanic should know about your Mercedes?
Customer: It has a little over 138.000 miles. It drives great.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
hi im kevin are there any running issues any rattling noises at all from engine ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No there isn't
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
now the codes that would concern me are the p0016 and the p0017.these codes are camshaft timing fault codes .now sometimes these codes can be caused by bad cam sensors but in most cases its the timing actually being very slightly out that causes this.there is a very common fault with the balancer shaft pulley wearing causing timing to fall out of position.this can be a very expensive repair .the engine timing cover would need to be removed to confirm but I suspect as you have the two codes this is highly likely to be the cause
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
please rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
please rate my service
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
Please rate my service if no further assistance is required