MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes

Pearl , I'm back ...hopefully my credit card works today....ha

Customer Question

Hi Pearl , I'm back ...hopefully my credit card works today....have 98 E320, was replacing the rack and pinion and changing all 4 tires over to summer tires from winter tires....had all 4 wheels in the air...replaced rack and was pressure testing and bleeding power steering system(did not have tie rod ends connected),as I turned steering wheel from one extreme to the other I heard a clank from the front and there was a little smoke and slight burnt smell, didn't think too much of it..... then after it seemed like system was free of air I shifted car from P to R to D, with the brake pedal pressed....things seemed good..... went to remove rear tires and one lug twisted off right rear, sent my son down the road with 3 summer tires and one winter tire....traction control went haywire, engaging and disengaging and would lock up the front tires if brakes were applied into a turn, but not straight away.....put all 4 winter tires back on, cleared 0720(output shaft speed sensor code) and 0500(speed sensor A malfunction code) , but to no avail , car acts the same. Turned ESP switch off and intermittant traction control cleared but still front wheels lock up if brakes applied into a turn.... car was flawless before this....HELP !
JA: Many things can cause steering issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: ....that was in my reply
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercedes Mechanic should know about your Mercedes?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 6 months ago.
Hello , going over your story it should be a quick repair , what kind of scanner do you have?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
...U380 ( simple OBDII code reader)
oh gotcha, well a better scan tool would have been the key, we need to see what the wheel speeds are seeing, so let me ask you this, what are the tire sizes on all 4 corners? are they all the same and is the tread the same?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
....all 215/55-16 new snow tires , all the same, took the car for a short drive after putting all 4 snows back on and the car acts the same, all goofy .... but the codes did not come back up only the cluster lights on left of cluster,( ABS, BRAKE, and the BAS/ESP), I might not have driven it far enough, will take for longer test drive....thx for the help !
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
.....where do we start ?
sorry for the delay man, i am here now, let me look over what you posted
did you ever figure out what the "clank" and "smoke and burn smell" were? i was going back over your story to refresh and noticed that.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
.....did not have tie rod ends connected and the right front hub angled sharply when I put the car in drive.... no signs of any damage or anything restricting ....
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
.....c'mon Lou P. let's start somewhere !
ok does the car only activate when turning one direction?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
....what ?!$#*&% .... kidding me right ? What a f**king JOKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what is the issue, i asked if it was specific to a certain direction,
i am trying to help you here, , its hard when you do not have a scan tool to read values so if we are going to figure this out it will be a little rough but can be done.
i usually dont take this long to respond so i apologize for my delays, i took your question on because i feel confident that i can help, but i need to get a feel for what is happening and the scenario that it occurs in. dont get mad at me, i didnt break the car. i am the one that wants to help you fix it ,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
......cancel please !