Kurt Kennedy
Kurt Kennedy, ASE master with L1
Experience:  Shop foreman at Auto-Lab of Texas

I have a 2008 Mercedes CLK550 and the radio volume will not

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Mercedes CLK550 and the radio volume will not work. It's as if it is in mute mode but it isn't Ive had a local shop check it out and am told the amplifier and the speakers are powered up but no volume. It displays the station the radio is set to but not any sound at all.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes if it is a simple fix
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just all the controls and like I said I had a local shop check out to make sure amplifier and speakers are powered up
JA: Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 6 months ago.
Sorry to hear about the music volume in your Mercedes not working correctly! The other mechanics are on the right track, If the amp is getting power, and its going to the speakers, the only item that is left is the radio head unit its self. The volume knob is built into the circuit board of the radio and has likely failed. There are a few different ways to fix this:1.) Purchase a new radio from Mercedes which is more than likely a VERY expensive option.2.) Remove the radio and there are multiple companies who rebuild radios, offer a warranty and are a fraction of the cost of a new one from the dealership and is what my customers choose to do most of the time.3.) Get and aftermarket radio from a Car audio store (A lot of people dont like this option simply b.c. of how it changes the way the inside of the car looks with a mis-matched looking radio) I hope this is able to help you and please feel free to ask me any questions you have regarding my reply! Thank you!!