Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

2010 R350 4matic with rear only air shocks. Left side lower

Customer Question

2010 R350 4matic with rear only air shocks. Left side lower than right after car is parked. Sometime( but not always the right side will be lower the next morning and car will rise after starting. But left side goes down again shorty after parking. Right side stays high. Is the left side leaking air or is this a relay or compressor problem?
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Mercedes Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No but I have a good Mercedes technician. Just trying to give him a clue as to the problem He has looked at it already but can't say for sure what is going on.
JA: OK! The Mercedes Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: Not. Do I just ask the Mercedes guy to diagnose for me?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.
Hi, leaks in the rear air springs are the most common cause of this problem. The springs can be checked by spraying a soapy water solution all over the spring and checking for air bubbles. Sometimes very small leaks are hard to detect but if the car lowers on one side or the other after you turn it off the problem will be with the rear air springs. I recommend replacing both springs at the same time. Since the car rises when you start it this will not be a compressor or relay problem.Let me know if you have any questions.Marty