Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.

Turn off car and the reading lights under the rearview mirror

Customer Question

Turn off car and the reading lights under the rearview mirror and the doom light are going off and on and won't go off
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Just that the !lights stayed on all night and are going off and on I've pressed all of the buttons but they don't seem to control them! Could it be that I'm being contacted by aliens?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Sure! My service garage is 2 hrs away and I'm not sure what will happen if I drove it that way
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I did what the manual suggested
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercedes Mechanic should know about your Mercedes?
Customer: I just returned from a snow storm and I thought that might have something to do with it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 6 months ago.
Hello. What year and model do you have ? This was very common with the SL r230 models. Let me know what model you have and year and I can advise on the possible cause.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2003 E500
Ok cool. So is the the reading lights under the mirror or the dome lights on the roof module ?
The dome light switch has 3 positions for on always , one with door open , or off. Make sure it's set properly. If it is and the lights remain on then the issue is the dome lamp assembly. Most likely the setting is wrong as this is not a common issue with this model. I will check back later to see your replies