Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

Ml 500: as I was driving my ml500 I heard a loud air noise

Customer Question

Hi as I was driving my ml500 I heard a loud air noise and the drivers side front dropped.
I did get a warning saying malfunction in the suspension.
After that a warning that the air comp needs to cool down.
Is it safe to drive the car or should I disconnect the the air comp for the suspension for now.
Also any idea what this problem might be.
It's a 2010 ml.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  spoooolin replied 7 months ago.
Hello and sorry to hear about the suspension issue on your ML.This vehicle has an air shock suspension which can leak / not hold air pressure for multiple reasons. Since you said only the driver side front dropped, I think this is an issolated issue to the front driver air shock not holding pressure which is why that corner of the car dropped. There is a Air compressor that is responsible for airing up the shocks to the correct pressure and ride height. If an air shock is not holding pressure, the compressor will stay on and pump for a long period of time to try to get that shock to its desired ride height and pressure. In this case, the root cause of the warning for the compressor is a driver front air shock that can no longer hold pressure which is making the compressor stay on to attempt to fill that shock with air. Think about trying to fill a bucket with a garden hose, with a big hole in the side of the bucket...it will never get full. I know this is a long and complicated answer, but please feel free to ask any questions you might have.Thank you!
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 7 months ago.
Hello. This is a common failure with a front air strut. Your vehicle has air ride which means you don't have springs that hold the car up you have air bags. What happened was a airbag had blown so the ride height lowered which in turn kicked on the compressor to refill the bag but it could not so the compressor overheats which kicks on the warning you mentioned. So you need to have the car towed or you will put more strain on the other bags also steering the car can damage the fenders and suspension further. The repair is pretty easy the struts can be teplaced in about 4 hours. Hope this information helps. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.
Sorry I did not realize another expert responded. I will opt out. I totally agree with what he posted since my answer was the exact same lol. Please DO NOT rate my service. You can rate the other expert. Hopefully he responds so you will be able to rate him. My apologies. Lou
Just wanted to touch base and see if you had any other questions and that I also Submitted my request to be rated to you. Thank you!
Hello, just wanted to see how the ML is doing and see if you could rate me if you are pleased with my service. Thank you
Hello, are you still needing assistance?