Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

Top will not open on 2002 clk. When I open the roof latch the

Customer Question

Top will not open on 2002 clk. When I open the roof latch the button turns red and nothing happens. When I pull up on the button or push down it blinks. I recently had someone looking at the car and I think they tried to open the top but didn't release the roof latch properly. All the windows work checked all the fuses, and trunk skirt is in place. I have never had an issue with the top, can it be reset or did the person that tried to open it incorrectly burn up the motor. Any suggestions on how to check?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Top will not open on 2002 clk, steady red, blinks when I try to use it. Skirt in trunk is in place, fuses are ok, I think somone tried to open wth roof still locked. Can it be reset?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercedes Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 10 months ago.
Hello, the top operation will not start unless the roof is unlatched so i dont think we need to worry about the motor, first thing i would double check is to push the shade open and relatch it. see if it works then.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes tried that first , it is closed and the shade is hitting the switch.
ok, when you unlatch the roof do the windows roll down? what is the position of the rear headrests (roll bars)?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes, the widows roll down, the rear headrest are down, I thought this may have been a problem, but I put them all the way up then all the way down.
ok so far so good, the trunk must be closed as well and the little red light on the switch should not be lit up.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes trunk closed, the switch for the top glows red when I release the roof and blinks when I pull up or push down.
ok, understood, so sorry for my delayed responses its raining here and the internet keeps blipping out,
so let me see what fuses we can check just in case, but i think the issue is going to be with a loose or sticking switch. are you looking to fix yourself if we need to take some things apart to diagnose this or no?
fuse 15 in the engine bay fuse boxfuses 11 and 13 in the fuse box in the trunk .pull those out and if any have black burn marks in the middle of them or the metal strap does not touch both sides then the fuse is blown.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No fuse issues already pulled them. I can't take it apart know, I thought there may be a way to reset it.
there is no reset, every time you pull the switch it checks for all the switches to math up and if it does the top will work.
so if you dont intend on fixing yourself then it will need to be brought to the dealer (recommended) to be diagnosed, sorry this was not something easy. at least not that we could find. Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.