Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

E240: , Mercedes E240 2003 ABS light comes once the car

Customer Question

Hello, Mercedes E240 2003 ABS light comes once the car starts, befor that there was ESP defective light we did change small battery and its, relay ESP light gone but we had ABS light on when start the car. I need help Thanks. Muqbil
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. If the steering wheel position sensor was not replaced and you have a code for this sensor coming up this will turn on the abs light like this here.I have had to replace this sensor several times before for this type of fault here.If this was already replaced let me know. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, the steering wheel position sensor was not replaced . could it be a bad relay and can you locate the ABS relay in the box for this car in a diagram or a picture ?
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Can you tell me the fault code number or numbers setting with this issue here at all?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I cant give you codes the test done by a mechanic but if it a must will retest and get codes .
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
I dont see a relay myself on this model here that would cause only the steering angle sensor code.If a relay or even the anti lock brake control unit was at fault you would usually see allot more codes or no communication at all with the anti lock brake system.I suspect the steering angle/position sensor is the cause here as this is most common for this issue needing replaced. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will try to get codes and back to you. how about ABS small motor carbon brushes ? any relation?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please see paragraph 4 in this link http://www.justanswer.com/topics-abs-mercedes/
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Sounds good.Let me know what codes are set when your ready. If you are speaking of the anti lock brake hydraulic unit pump motor brushes these can wear out but once again usually you would see a fault code for the hydraulic unit itself at fault.I suspect this is the steering sensor needing replaced here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry paragraph 3 is relating it to power relays.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
O.k.,this is a generic overall response for abs issues on your model.It doesnt necessarily mean a relay is at fault here.When you first turn on the key the anti lock brake unit runs checks on components like the steering position sensor and if this sensors feed back signal to the anti lock brake computer is incorrect then this light will come on and this fault code will set.I suspect with what you have described here with your vehicle this is the sensor at fault here needing replaced to correct this issue. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete