Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I would like to try out the procedure you outlined to reset

Customer Question

Hi, I would like to try out the procedure you outlined to reset my 1996 S500 OBD. What do you mean 1/4 throttle in item#4 ? Does that mean press gas pedal 25% compared to fully pressed ? (The S500 emission test failed due to OBD not ready. )
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.
HI,I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your questionYes, press it 25% compared to fully pressed down. It is a nice, steady acceleration. Make sure of 2 things before performing test - one is that the vehicle sits for at least 8 hours before doing the drive cycle and two is make sure fuel tank is between 1/4 to 3/4 full
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How effective is that drive cycle to reset the OBD system. How many cycles I need to try that one out in order to see the result ?There is an official (?) drive cycle, http://www.smogtips.com/Mercedes_Drive_Cycle_Readiness_Monitors.pdf, which is not practical to try. Would you recommend to try the official one if your outlined drive cycle does not work ?
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.
HI,Do the outlined drive cycle 2 times. On Mercedes, it works about 90-95% of the time. If it doesnt work, then do the Mercedes drive cycle. If you have jack stands, you can put the vehicle up on 4 jackstands and do the Mercedes drive cycle. Makes it a bit more practical to do that way Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Good. Will let you know the result and provide rating later. Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am trying out that cycle over this weekend, and will re-smog next week. My 1996 S500 passed every emission test except OBD system not ready.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.
HI,Ok, sounds good