Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.

I run a sprinter 316 cdi, 2001, 195000 mls. JA: The

Customer Question

Hello, I run a sprinter 316 cdi, 2001, 195000 mls.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: i have a brake issue, which is intermittent. the front right brake feels as if the abs is activating, and occasionally the ebv warning light appears on the dash. I have stripped all 4 brake discs and calipers to bits, and all look ok
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mercedes Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no that's my only problem. thanks in advance
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Does the issue happen at low speeds or high speeds ? Are there any fault codes ? Or warning lights that are on the dash all the time ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi , thanks for the e mail, the brake sounds like there is a crack in the disc, ! , really noisy, but the disc is only 3 months old
as are the pads, approx 3/8 inch of material on them, . The noise happens every time I use the brake, so in town this is
usually pretty slow, 20 - 30 mph, but only sometimes the ebv warning light comes on, maybe once a day, so i switch
off the ignition and on again , it clears. braking performance is excellent, and all discs and pads were replaced during
christmas holidays. Fluid level is also good, and wheel bearings feel smooth and tight.
Best regards Dan
ok dan, sorry for my delay, when you say it sounds like a crack in the disc do you mean it makes like a noise based on speed? like (how to describe)..... like if you had a big rock in the tire and it would make a clicking noise or a chick,chick,chick noise?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi again Lou, sorry for delay. , this is only a braking issue, tires are good, and free of damage. noise only occurs when brake is applied, and grumbling / pulsating thro brake pedal., As I mentioned pads, caliper, and disc are all looking fine, so could abs system be faulty ? can it be checked ?
thanks for input.
Ok thanks for the reply. It does sound like the abs is being activated prematurely. What needs to happen now is a scanner must be hooked up that can read the wheel speeds. So when you are driving you can see which sensor or wheel is making the computer think that the wheel is locking up. It can be something as simple as rust chips on the tip of the sensor or it can end up being a loose wheel bearing. There are only a few items that affect the situation you have and will activate abs. But all of them need diagnosed with a scan tool unfortunately. That is the best route to take. Sometimes with physical inspection you can find something awry but most of the time it is electronic and will only happen under certain circumstances. Hope this information helps.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK Thanks Lou. Will explore during the week.
ok Dan , let me know what you find or if you need more info, i will do what i can to help. Please take a second and click the STARS above and rate my service 4 or 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED !
Hello Dan sorry to bother you, let me know how things are going and if there is something i can do, i strive for 5 stars as that is the only way we are paid , and no worries, we can still chat as long as needed. i am here to help sir.