Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

My Mercedes 2006 E500 v8 has a problem of making contact when

Customer Question

My Mercedes 2006 E500 v8 has a problem of making contact when you turn the key on. Most of the time it starts, but occasionally you have to move the shifter from park to natural to get it to start. It doesn't have to stay in neutral, you can move it back to park and it will start. What is the cause of this unpredictably?
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: yes, otherwise it works fine.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mercedes Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no, just that.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** moving the shifter allows the car to start you will need to have the linkage from the gearshift to the transmission inspected. A faulty linkage bushing could cause the car not to go fully into park which will prevent the starter from operating. It's also possible that the electrical contact in the transmission is faulty. The diagnosis can be performed with a Mercedes tester to see if the contact inside the transmission is working when the car is in park. If the contact is faulty you will need to replace the electrical plate inside the transmission. Estimated cost for the electrical plate is $950 installed.Let me know if you have any questions.Marty
Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I'm just following up with you on this question. Was the information I provided helpful?Please let me know.Marty