Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 23 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

A vibration from 60 mph and the droning noise it's prop or

Customer Question

A vibration from 60 mph and the droning noise it's prop or diff related
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Yeah
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mercedes Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Front prop has been repaired new hint and bearing.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello if the noise gets a lot worse under load then its more likely to be the diff thats at faultif the droning only occurs at a specific road speed then its more likely to the propif you haven't already then I'd drain the oil out the diff and strain it through paper towel as it exits the diffthe towel will catch any debris thats in the diff regarding the propyou can easily check for for any slack in the propshaft joints by twisting either half by hand and feeling for any play as there should be virtually none the centre bearing is quite loosely mounted so this can be moved normally but if you can run the car in gear with the wheels off the ground and then feel the centre bearing housing for vibration if there's any then consider replacing the unit and then look along the propshaft for any signs of a missing balance weight as these take the form of little 3/4" squares that are welded onto the shaft - as they are only tacked on they can sometimes come loose and be lost resulting in the shaft being out of balance - if a joint is worn this can also shake them loose so if a joint is replaced its good practice to have the shaft re-balanced afterwards
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you