Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

No power to eis JA: The mechanics have tons of experience

Customer Question

no power to eis
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: yea
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mercedes Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: want to know whered the power comes to eis
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have a 2000 mercedes s500 i have no power to anything ive checked all block fuse box and the passenger floor board,rear under seat one front of car,ones and since i have no power my trunk wont open so iam askin if there is another one in rear trunk?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** to terminal 30 of the EIS comes through the X4/10 fuse block located under the passenger side front foot rest panel and also to terminal 30z of the EIS through the X4/22 fuse block located in the trunk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well the one on passenger is good but the wires on my eis none have any power except one little red wire has 12 volts other than that i got no power but key turns but no dash lights or anything come on cant open trunk with key nor on the door switch checked all fuses on all fuse blocks except one on the trunk you say cause i cant open it but other than that ive checked everywhere i have my car torn down everywhere lol wont give up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
was trying to follow the wires that run from eis to see where the went to but they go somwhere behind dashboard,,..,.,i want to know which wires on the eis are suppose to be hot cause i got zero power and windows dont work nothing does ..steering wheel stays unlocked but shifter wont move its stays in park
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
The heavy red wires should have power at all times. Those wires get their power from the fuse block under the passenger side front footrest panel. The small red wire is also hot at all times. It gets it's power from the fuse block in the trunk. You can use jumper cables and apply power directly to the cable at the fuse block under the passenger side front footrest panel and probably get the trunk to open and you can also probably start the car. There is no steering wheel lock on an S class.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need anything else. Please note that you must rate my service in order for the website to pay me for helping you tonight. If you do not rate my service I do not get paid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i already used jumper cables but nothing i have no power to the 4 thick wires on the eis but the key turns you said on the 4 thick wires 2 red ones need power so what about the other two are they ground
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and i checked the four thick wires on the eis and they dont go to the passenger floor board they go somwhere ontop of dashboard just dont kno where thought maybe a intermidiate fuse was there or somthing cause i got no power .............so why does my key turn if i got no power
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
There are only 2 heavy red wires. Only those 2 wires and the small red have power at all times. Your brown wire at the EIS is ground. The 2 heavy red wires get their power from the fuse block on the floor. The other heavy wires at the EIS only have power with the key on. Have you actually used a voltmeter to test for voltage at the fuse block on the floor and at the EIS? Do you understand that you must rate my service in order for the website to pay me for helping you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im using a power probe 3 thats why i know i have no power only on the little red wire on eis but shows power on passenger floor board and yes i understand marty but i thought i rate you when im done i just dont want to rate you and it takes me to another tech you seem to know about this sorry new to this just answer thing
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
As long as you understand how the site works that is fine with me.If you have power going to the fuse block on the floor but no power to the EIS, the fuse block on the floor must be bad. All of the cables at the fuse block on the floor must have 12V.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
marty you think it might be the ecu.....
and do you have any idea why my key turns if no power ...and yes theres power to all wires
but i also checked the front fuse boxes passenger and driver engine compartment but no power to either fuse boxes just the one under rear passenger seat...has power
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
???
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
What is the whole story behind this problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
day that was raining bad flash floods and problems started from that
point think water went under or somthing;
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Usually water gets to the module under the rear fuse box. Did you find any water under the rear seat cushion?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no water marty but since that day started to not cranck on the first time then the trunk issue then no horn then windows but weird cause radio and seats and headlights work
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
I think you may have water in one of the signal acquisition modules. Try pulling the right front fuse box and check the module under the box for signs of water intrusion. The right front and the rear SAM are the ones that commonly get water into them.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
It's almost midnight where I am. Can we continue tomorrow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
k thanks marty
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up with you on this problem. Did you ever get it figured out?