Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

Mercedes SLK250 Sport: Can you program a used ECU computer

Customer Question

Can you program a used ECU computer for a Mercedes SLK250?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 6 months ago.
Hello, they are absolutely correct to a point. every ME_SFI control unit gets coded once installed, we call it "marrying" . once its removed and installed into another car the trans module and ignition switch will reject the drive authorization do to the mismatch of the vin numbers. so you must replace the ecm with a new uncoded one. is your vehicle out of warranty or something? cause engine control units are covered for 8 years 80k miles under warranty. now the grey area is there are companies out there that can code your module for you, i dont know how they are able to achieve this but if you google and search you will find a handful of companies that can do that for you. hope this helps, Lou p. Please take a second and click the STARS above and rate my service 4 or 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED !
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, you didn't give me any information I didn't already have. Please opp out, so I can find someone who can tell me how to reprogram a ECU. Thank you.
i will opt out. but there is no additional info , what i have provided you with is the answer, i have been a mercedes tech for 16 years my friend . and if you already know this then you know there is no other alternative to this. i will gladly opt out, but dont be surprised if you hear the same from another expert. i dont understand what you think can be another alternative, but ok.
Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** you post the last 8 digits of the vin number?