Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

I have '05 Merc. sable with 105k on it. Getting q grunting

Customer Question

I have '05 Merc. sable with 105k on it. Getting q grunting wound from steering column area. goes away when tem. engine warms up for most part. what gives???
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. There is a rubber grommet at the firewall where the steering shaft goes through it, That rubber grommet gets dry then it's like a metal on dry rubber sound, I have wiped some wheel bearing grease in that rubber grommet before and fixed it, Check the power steering fluid as well and let me know if that helps. Thank you.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
If the fluid level is ok, and that grommet isn't dry, then I would try some lucas brand power steering conditioner in the power steering reservoir. If there is a seal that is hard and causing an internal leak, this could cause this problem. and I have corrected some P/S noises before by just putting some of this Lucas brand Power Steering Conditioner in the reservoir. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.