Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

My name is ***** *****. My issue is with my 1998 Mercedes Benz

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. My issue is with my 1998 Mercedes Benz E 320 that I just purchased from the dealer. The cigarette lighter fuse is somewhat intermittent failure. I know because I connect my Garmin Nuvi GPS to it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sometimes it seems to lose power and I have to take it out and put in back in or just move it around.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercedes Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 8 months ago.
Hi, this could simply be a defective fuse. Have you installed a new fuse for the lighter? If you have, and if moving the fuse around definitely gets the lighter working again, I would have to suspect a fault with the fuse box itself. If you haven't installed a new fuse I would do so. When the Garmin isn't working you should test for power at the lighter socket with a test light. Most problems are with the socket itself or with the adapter for the Garmin making poor contact.