Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

I have a 2000 Mercedes S430. The Instrument Cluster lights

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Mercedes S430. The Instrument Cluster lights are out. Consequently, I can see milage, gas gauge, etc. I know how to pull the Instrument Cluster from the dashboard. However, once the IC is removed what should I look for? Also, should fuses be checked prior to pulling the IC from the dashboard?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What additional details would you like?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercedes Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** had a problem with the instrument cluster lighting on the early model S classes. They actually issued a recall on the clusters. If your cluster has never been replaced you can get it replaced at no charge from the Mercedes dealer as long as your chassis number is ***** the range of recalled instrument clusters. There is nothing that you can solve by removing the cluster. Check the fuses for the cluster by removing and inspecting them. Fuse 20, 21 and 22 are for the cluster. Remove all 3 at the same time to reset the cluster. It may or may not get the lighting back on but the cluster will need to be replaced regardless.Let me know if you have any questions. Please rate my service as this is the only way that I can receive credit from the website for helping you. If you do not rate my service I cannot get paid for my time and knowledge.Thank you.