Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

Remote locking not working and radio reception very poor and

Customer Question

remote locking not working and radio reception very poor and unable to tune to other stations since replacement read windscreen fitted to Merc estate - 51 plate. Has Command system and GPS etc
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mercedes Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: have replaced the thin black antenna connected to the rear windscreen - no difference
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code? Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Car registration is LB51TXS location in UK
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Did this issue only occur after the rear windscreen was replaced and was this replaced by you or a repair facility? Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The issue only seemed to occur after the rear screen was fitted by a wind screen specialist. The car hadn't been driven much for several months so I can't be certain if at exactly at the same time. I've tried various things to re-programme the key fobs. I have 2 and both not working. The radio (Merc Command) does pick up some signal but now very poorly and the 'Scan' button on the Command unit not working to seek better stations to tune to.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The car also has built in GPS (Command) which all works fine and does the in-built TV.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
O.k.,most likely wiring was cut or damaged at the windscreen causing this here.It may be at the bottom or sides of it in the interior that may have either been repaired poorly or not repaired at all.I have seen this occur before and then left alone and not repaired and causes this issue here.I would have all wiring checked around the wind screen area and body where it mounts to see if any is damaged needing replaced and repaired.This is the most common cause for this type of fault here when this occurs after this has been replaced. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, removed all the rear door surrounds/trim and all wiring all in tact and in place it seems.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Was the correct part number wind screen installed?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I would have to check... is it easy for me to find the correct number?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
I apologize for the delay.The part number is ***** either on a sticker on the wind screen somewhere or stamped onto the windscreen itself.In some cases it may need removed to check the number.If you can find out from the facility that replaced it if they have the package for the windscreen they can usually check the part number for you from there.Let me know if you can. Thanks Pete