MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes

My 2001 Mercedes E320 won't shift out of park without depressing

Customer Question

My 2001 Mercedes E320 won't shift out of park without depressing the emergency lock button on shifting unit
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: well this happened after my son couldn't get it to start
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mercedes Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: but I understand that is a safety feature
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Customer: I let it sit a few minutes then tried it and it fired off but wasstill stuck in park
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 6 months ago.
Hello. There is a TSB for this which calls for the replacement of the stop lamp switch. You should however be able to get it out of park by following the procedure attached. Please let me know if you have tried this already. PROCEDURE
Did this work for you?