Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.

I am a smart car owner. last Tuesday March 29th, I got home

Customer Question

Hello I am a smart car owner.
last Tuesday March 29th, I got home from work. (82 miles round trip).
Parked behind wife's car as usual, next morning she moved it to the street curb.
later that day I tried to put it back on driveway but it didn't start.
start makes the normal cranking sound but engine does not start.
battery seems to be OK , I checked the "engine" fuses and all of them are OK,
I was scheduled with my personal mechanic (who lives out of town and perform not major repairs as an alternate "part time" job) for the 60k. mile maintenance.
He suggested that problem could be that there's no spark to ignite engine or something with a worn timing belt.
I do understand that car had to be checked by a professional, that's why I put scheduled maintenance on hold until car is operational again.
Question/concern: It is rare for me to understand how a practically newer car presents this particular issue.
I bought the car zero miles on July 2013, it doesn't have reached its third year. Am I experiencing a problem that could be categorized as a future recall? I have no hint if this would be a major repair that will suck all the money out of my wallet.
Unfortunately for me car is not covered by guaranty due to the high mileage,, 50k under warranty.
And I did not purchased an extension of it. I am about to make arrangements to tow and to have my car serviced in Walter's Mercedes in Riverside ca.
thank you.
smart car owner
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse and proper fuel pressure. In order to determine what has failed you are going to need to have your mechanic check each one of these thing to determine which one you are lacking. I would also have him scan the computer system to see if there are any fault codes setting. If he can get these things done and post back with the results I will try and help you determine what has failed.