Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I have a 98 e320 and when i turn the car on the take the key

Customer Question

I have a 98 e320 and when i turn the car on the take the key out light stays on and beeps contantly
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: That's it. the car acts as if its turned off after i start the car and driving. non of the gages work and it says take the key out as if the car is off and I left the key in
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes. there is no dealer within 100 miles
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I unhooked the battery thinking i could reset the computer
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Mercedes Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: Its old. alot of miles. the key is fairly new. a few years old.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 8 months ago.

Hello, do you have the electronic plastic key or is your lock the metal ignition style?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Plastic

ok so when you insert the key, you hear the column unlock (zip) and then the ignition releases to allow the key to turn but nothing comes to life?

what about the radio and windows and sunroof and ac and all that? do all those work?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The car will start but the ac doesn't work and the odometer doesn't move. the dash just keeps beeping say "Take key out" The car acts as if its off and the key is left in
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was told I need to change the EIS

well my first inclination is also the EIS as that is what is supposed to activate the other modules and also pretty much TELL them that the key is on . BUT there are a lot of issues with relays that do not click on with age so i will double check to see if there are any we can check first before condemning the eis.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok

ok so lets test a few wires, i dont know how much you want to do or if you can so you just tell me what you can and cannot do and i will help, so on the passenger side of the engine bay there is a big black housing, remove the screws and open it up, you will see a secondary fuse box there . and let me know if you have a test light cause we need to check a wire in there.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I checked all the fuses earlier today. They are all good

ok , please re read my statement

here is the fuse box i am talking about

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. No i did not check the one on the passenger side

also i am not worried about fuses, its a certain wire i am wanting to check for power on.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. I'm not able to check now. It's 11pm here and I don't have light. Can you tell me a few things I can check tomorrow?

we are looking to see if there is power on connector C pin 3, it will be a pink wire with a red stripe. we need to see if it has NO power with the car off and key out of the ignition and then check it for power with the key in the ignition and turned on. that will tell us if the EIS is sending power out as it should. lets start with that. have a good night, Lou p.Please take a second and click the STARS above and rate my service 4 or 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED !

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. if this doesn't work, what else should I try? How can I reach you again?

you can just reply back to this chat at any time, i will get emails when you reply and i will ALWAYS get back to you, no worries. after that test, it will depend on what we try next and both routes are way long to type lol. so lets focus on that wire first. please. :)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. I will try that tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oh. I did say that it does click when I put the key in and I can start the car. Would that mean it's getting power?

no cause there are 3 types of circuit powers,

1. 30- battery power all the time
  2. 15-ignition on power only when key is turned to second click (thats what we are testing)
  3. 15r- engine running power when key is turned to start and clicks back after starting.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok

:)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Ok. I test that wire and all the wires. And I get power when the car is running and not when its off

ok i am only worried about that wire specifically. so if that wire is good, now we need to access the wiring under the drivers side fuse box. the wire is going to be in connector C1 pin 1 pink wire with a yellow stripe. same test.