Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

My 2006 ML350 has it's rear liftgate stuck in the closed

Customer Question

Hi Pearl- My 2006 ML350 has it's rear liftgate stuck in the closed position. When I press the key fob button to open it, it sounds like it's trying to open but the liftgate doesn't go up. Same thing when I use the buttons in the car and on the liftgate itself. Any idea what may be causing the issue?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If it's a simple fix I'm willing to try. Otherwise a trip to the garage will be in order.
JA: Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: No, it's been a very good car until this happened. By the way, I have about 125,000 miles on it.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** problem is usually caused by a faulty hatch lock. The locks give a lot of trouble on the ML's. The part retails for a little over $300 and takes a couple of hours to replace. This is probably not a repair that you should tackle yourself.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please remember to rate my service when you are done as this is the only way that I can receive credit from the website for helping you.