Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

First, Why would Mercedes build a car that the front bumper

Customer Question

First, Why would Mercedes build a car that the front bumper will definitely hit and break the car on the Concrete Stopper in Parking lots????? These Stops have been the same size since they were first manufactured. Mercedes knows that this will do damage! I am so very upset right now! To build a sports car and make it low Profile is awesome, but when it comes to doing damage it is DUMB. I now have to replace the front Headlight Washer Cover because it popped off when the bumper got caught on the Stop and broke loose the bumper on one side. I did not even realize it had happened till I got back home. The sensor did not alert me nor did I feel it hit the stop. Now, My question is: How expensive is it to replace the cover for the Headlight washers And to repair where the fastner came loose on the wheel well area for the Bumper on a SL550 2014
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Unfortunately they build them to be safe inside the vehicle in a collision and more and more now the external cosmetic components will break with an easy impact.It is the way they are designed anymore not just with Mercedes but with all newer models.All of the plastic components make it light weight for better fuel consumption and the focus is making it safe inside the vehicle.This has been an on going complaint with most newer models unfortunately.In some cases you can contact Mercedes customer support and explain what had occurred and they may help cover the costs for repair or pay for them all together as they are usually pretty good with working with their customers but there is no guarantee they will help at all.If you need their phone number let me know.

The cover shouldnt be to expensive maybe around $30 to $75 for the cover plus any extra charge if they have to have it painted which may run around $100.

To repair the bumper if they are only repairing it to fasten it in place and not replacing it or any components I would say an hours charge or around $110 to have repaired.If they have to repair any plastic including paint maybe around $350 to have done and if the bumper cover or under carriage cover needs replaced you may be looking at over $700 to have the cover replaced and around $100 for any under carriage covers.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete