Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

1996 S320. going to work the other day and the ext lamp fail

Customer Question

1996 S320. going to work the other day and the ext lamp fail light illuminated. Found I had no interior background lighting(gauges, seat adj panels, etc), the right front side marker, the right rear tail light and both license plate lights were out. Checked the fuse box and found fuse #9 blown. replaced the fuse but as soon as the light switch is turned on fuse blows again. Took out the front marker, rear tail and both lic light bulbs, no help. Found that if i pulled the K30 gray/red wire from the light switch, fuse would not blow, front marker and rear tail light worked normal, but still no lic lights or interior background lighting. Replaced the
light switch, no help, reset the failure module relay, no help. Any ideas?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** 9 also powers the headlight wiper motors through the K30 terminal on the headlight switch. Your short could be at either wiper motor or at the instrument cluster/dash light circuit or at the license plate lights. I'd try disconnecting the headlight wiper motors and see if the fuse still blows. If it does the next step would be to disconnect the instrument cluster.

Let me know what you find out.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 8 months ago.

Follow up please. I do not receive credit unless you rate my service.