Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

I disconnected alarm module behind glove box 1987 560sl will

Customer Question

I disconnected alarm module behind glove box 1987 560sl will this prevent engine from turning over
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.

No. The factory alarm system only protects from forced entry, it cannot prevent the engine from starting and running. When you say "turning over", do you mean the starter won't crank the engine, or that it is cranking but it just won't start?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is cranking but the engine won't start. I replaced the ignition coil. Nothing. Just replaced ignition control module and disconnected the alarm module behind the glove box because alarm (horn beeping) would not reset. Nothing. The starter cranks the engine but it will not start. Help.

I understand. Now we come to the moment when I have to tell you that I can help you take care of this issue in one of two different ways: One involves me offering an educated guess on which part to replace and you replacing them one by one until one of those parts fixes the problem; the other involves you using tools such as fuel pressure tester, multimeter, ignition tester, etc. under my guidance to perform a comprehensive diagnosis that will surely reveal the root cause. Please let me know which way you choose so we can start.