Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

I just recently bought a 2001 c240 it wasn't running when i

Customer Question

i just recently bought a 2001 c240 it wasn't running when i got it. apparently previous owner was driving it and it just died.It wouldn't crank I jumped it and it started and it died as soon as it was disconnected. replaced the battery and tested Alt. Alternator was NG so I replaced it with OEM. Car starts right up but the cooling fan runs on HIGH non stop and it says "Coolant visit workshop "and "BAS visit workshop" If I drive it for about 5 miles I get the flashing red indicator that my oil level is to high but when i run the test oil level mode it says the oil level is "Ok" So... do i have 1 problem or multiple?
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Mercedes Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I don't believe there is any issue with the battery the Alternator was the problem and yes i am a DIY
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercedes Mechanic should know about your Mercedes?
Customer: nope
JA: Our top Mercedes Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Mercedes Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Mercedes Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

You may have a fault with the ME (motor electronics computer/engine computer) as this can cause the fans to run on high as well as false coolant temp signals and other electrical issues.I would have the wiring checked for any shorts or damage leading to and at the ME and if found to be o.k. the ME itself may need replaced.It would need replaced with a new one and set up and programmed by a Mercedes dealer in order to operate properly in your vehicle.

This does need tested further to be sure this is the cause here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pete I am hoping to fix the problem myself , no offense but a quick Google search provided the same info. I was hoping for some actionable advice.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Is there any way you can get the fault codes read out and post the code info here.You might be able to get a facility like auto zone to check them at no cost to you in some cases.Let me know if you can get this done as this will help here,having the codes gives us a starting point.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The only faults are the coolant and BAS I have a scanner and there are no codes thrown
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Is this a scan tool that is fully compatible with your vehicle that you are using for this here?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not sure what you mean by "fully" I pulled the wire off spark plug on 6 started it logged a misfire code and then reset the code with my Actron scanner
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Some scan tools can only read the engine codes which is why you saw the misfire code but the scan tool is not able to read other computers to check codes for the ABS/BAS and other computers in your model.You want to make sure the scan tool that is used is one that can read all computers to then fully diagnose and locate the faults here.If you can get ahold of any codes set by all computers then post the code info here this will help for sure.

Thanks Pete