sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Marty, I have a 1996 E300D and only have a manual key (no

Customer Question

Marty, I have a 1996 E300D and only have a manual key (no fob) and my key will not lock the drivers door or any other door most of the time.Do you think the Vacuum pump under rear seat might be the problem?
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the key will not manually unlock the doors then there has to be an issue with the key, lock cylinders, or possibly a latch issue preventing the key from turning.

When you insert the key in the lock cylinder it will not turn?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the key does turn. sometimes it locks but most of the time it does not.

The door panel will need to be removed for inspection then. The problem has to be with the lock cylinder, latch or the linkage in between. If the linkage is damaged or is loose at the attaching points at either end then it will cause what you're having. If the linkage is moving correctly but the door does not lock then the problem is in the latch.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sprinkles -- your answers show an ignorance with regard to a Mercedes Vacuum lock system. It has not been helpful and I do not intend to pay for the advice. Regretfully, clm