rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Working on a 1981 380 SL, smokes badly and smells heavy on

Customer Question

working on a 1981 380 SL, smokes badly and smells heavy on fuel at tailpipe. need a starting point.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

This may have a carb problem causing this such as a high or sunken float. If you have sidedraft carbs, check them for proper oil amount.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
WE NEED TO START OVER, THE 1981 380 SL HAS A BOSCHE CIS FUEL SYSTEM. I AM A 35 YEAR TECHNICIAN IN TRADE, HAVE LITTLE EXPERIENCE WITH CIS SYSTEMS, SUSPECT THE DISTRIBUTION HEAD, OR THERMAL VALVE.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.
Got it
The heads are very sensitive to bad gas. The cold the map time switch also fails regularly causing the cold start injector to stay on all the time. Thanks for clarification.
Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.