MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes

The rear lift gate. It will open remotely from the key,

Customer Question

The rear lift gate. It will open remotely from the key, handle pull and inside. However, it will not close from the actual buttons on the lift gate. Also, a few times, the actual lock will not engage in the hook, securing it. Appears to have gook on the lock and gets stuck in one position. I have cleaned it with a Qtip and it worked.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Maybe...but wanted to see what you think is actually wrong so I at least have an idea if I am unable to repair and have the service department handle.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercedes Mechanic should know about your Mercedes?
Customer: No other issues...just this.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: ok...thanks
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The lift gate open/close buttons do illuminate.
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 7 months ago.

Hello, so the lift buttons are illuminated on the underside of the tail gate but nothing happens when pressing the buttons?

does it work with the key ? as far as closing?