Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

I have a e320 1998 benz and my smart key will not unlock the

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I have a e320 1998 benz and my smart key will not unlock the steering wheel to start the car on a daily I have to try multiple times to get it to start but this time it won't work
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible if not I need a mechanic asap
JA: I can help you talk to the mechanic. Thanks for coming to JustAnswer. How can we help?
Customer: Yes please
JA: OK. The mechanic will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Ok
JA: Is there anything else important you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Yes I had another alarm system installed on the car because my manufacturing alarm was actin up
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** problem you are having can be caused by a bad key or a bad electronic steering lock or a bad electronic ignition switch. If you have another key you should try that first. Aside from trying your spare key and making sure that the car battery is charged you will need to tow the car to a Mercedes dealer for the repair. Mercedes will not sell the ignition switch or the steering lock to the aftermarket.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on this question. I provided you with an answer but you never rated my service. You may not understand how the website works. Even though you have been charged by the website the website does not pay me my portion of the charge until you rate my service or reply back to me to let me know that you are satisfied with my help. Please take a moment to rate my service or reply back to me.

Thank you