Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

I have a 1997 Mercedes Benz SL500. I was getting irratic

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Mercedes Benz SL500. I was getting irratic readings from the oik gauge so I took it to my mechanic who replaced the oil pressure sensor and filter....OK on that...gauge still a little wonky....stays at 3 when driving around 55 ,mph and the car temp is around 80 degrees, Then the gauge indicates a 3 or 2 sometimes 1...tonight it went down to zero.
Engine light came on this AM, so the mechanic checked it out....he replaced the map sensor and coolant sensors...that is what showed up as needing replacement. All was well when I left the shop earlier today....parked my car, went back to work,,when I next started the car I heard a clicking noise- not real loud (I always listen to my car).....not the noise that you hear if you have a bad batch of gas,,,,had no other way to get home so I drove the car approximately 12 miles to home,...clicking didn't get louder it just seemed higher when car was going around 50 mph ...people hate it when you drive that slow....SHOULD I HAVE THE CAR TOWED INTO THE SHOP TOMORROW AM?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Clayso replied 7 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description most likely the Oil Bridge Tubes are shrunk up and not allowing proper oil flow to the lifters. The oil bridge tubes are under the cylinder head covers and provide a path for oil to flow to the lifter galleys. When the oil flow is restricted the lifters will make noise. Have your mechanic remove the valve covers and inspect the oil bridge tubes in top of the cylinder heads for cracking, loose fit, leaks, etc. Replace or repair the tubes as necessary. There are 16 oil bridge tubes, 2 per cylinder on the V-8 engine. You can drive the car to a shop without damage, but keep the engines speed as low as possible.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions or run into any problems let me know.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.