Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

Rob...just bought a 2005 s430 4 matic. weird thing is after

Customer Question

Hi Rob...just bought a 2005 s430 4 matic. weird thing is after locking car i noticed the command center screen lights up for a few seconds and then goes off. A few minutes later happens again. Just changed the battery because it kept dying. Probably because of this?? Any ideas?? Many thanks. Raj.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well the guy I bought it from said the battery would drain if it sat for too long. so to use a kill switch that was attached to the black battery terminal. Being that he was 80 years old and probably didn't drive the car much i didn't think of it. In the 3 weeks Ive owned it on ver cold days (twice) the car would not start. Started immediately with a battery jump starter. Pas two days its dead every morning. So went to Sears and had a new Battery put in. Now I noticed after locking the car (sitting inside) the command theres a whirring noise which stops, everything is quiet, then a sound like a CD is loading and the command screen comes on for a few seconds...goes off and the whole process repeats itself..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercedes Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like an internal electrical fault with the command itself on the dash.I have seen this fail before in the past needing replaced to correct this type of fault here.What needs to be done is to have the fault codes checked/read out using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to make sure this is the cause.I suspect it is as I have seen this issue before in the past causing battery drain as well as what you see with the display with the key off.Once it is replaced it has to be coded/programmed with a dealers sds machine in order to operate properly in your model here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete