Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

I have a cls55 AMG, 2006. Less than 2 weeks ago the entire

Customer Question

I have a cls55 AMG, 2006. Less than 2 weeks ago the entire brake system was flushed and thoroughly worked on, and brake pads and rotors replaced. Two questions:
1. The mechanic told me that the rotors have to be replaced on this 'high performance' car every time the pads are changed. Is this true?
2. Yesterday (13 days following brake work described above), the entire brake pumping system failed. They're claiming it is unrelated to the brake work done previously, and quoted $1,700 to fix the brake pump, which they say failed electronically.
It seems to me too much of a coincidence that the system failed almost immediately following work? Also, it failed over the course of a few days, not all at once.
Thank you in advance!
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.

Hi, brake rotors are replaced every other brake job. As long as the brake rotors were not worn down below minimum thickness they could have been reused. Replacing the rotors at every pad replacement is usually not required. There is a special brake bleeding procedure for the CLS that can only be performed with a factory level Mercedes tester. If they have improperly flushed the brake system it will create faults in the SBC system. If the car is not at a Mercedes dealer I would suggest taking it to the dealer to have the SBC system reset with the Mercedes tester after the brake work.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.

One last thing. If the brake pump really has failed electronically it would not be related to the brake work.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the pump failure occurring right after the brake flush process, is unrelated to the work done on the braking system?
What else might cause a pump failure, apart from electronic failure? Some kind of mechanical failure? How does one tell the difference between the two? Thanks.
Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.

It's possible that the pump failed during the brake flush. If they did the flush correctly they would have had to run the pump in order to flush the system. I wouldn't blame the shop for that however.

Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Expert:  Marty replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on this question. I see that you have not rated my service yet. Do you need further assistance? Please remember that if you do not rate my service I do not get paid. Ratings are very important to the experts. Even though you have paid the website the website does not pay me for my help unless you positively rate my service.