Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I drive a 2005 SL 500 Benz. It is getting difficult to

Customer Question

I drive a 2005 SL 500 Benz. It is getting difficult to remove the key out of ignition. What could be the problem?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 8 months ago.

Hi, there is a lock out cable that runs from the ignition switch to the gearshift. This cable prevents the key from being removed from the ignition if the gearshift lever is not in park. You will need to have this cable replaced or adjusted to correct the problem. It's possible that there is excessive wear at the shifter or at the ignition switch but the cable is the usual problem.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on this question. I see that you have not rated my service yet. Do you need further assistance? Please remember that if you do not rate my service I do not get paid. Ratings are very important to the experts. Even though you have paid the website the website does not pay me for my help unless you positively rate my service.