Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.

I have a slk 320 and the key will not turn in the ignition

Customer Question

I have a slk 320 and the key will not turn in the ignition There is only 24000 miles on it
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: you stick the key in and it will not turn It has been acting up for some time. My wife refuses to drive it any more because it never starts for her
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no but would like to know the cost. Online a lot of people have had the exact same problem
JA: OK! The Mercedes Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Mercedes Mechanic should know about your Mercedes?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 7 months ago.

Hello. How many keys do you have and have you tried them both ? Also have you tried to wiggle the steering wheel to make sure there was not excess pressure on the steering lock ? If none of this helped that means that your ignition cylinder (tumbler) is excessively worn and will need replaced. There are a few options here. One is to keep trying to get it to turn and once you do , do NOT let it turn back to O as the only way you can remove the cylinder is when it is in the first click position. Then drive or have it towed to a shop to change out the cylinder. The other option is to order a blade key and once it comes in see if it will turn the ignition. If not use pliers to force it to turn then do the same as in the first option. Then the last option is to have it towed and to have the cylinder and column lock cut off and a new one installed. This will cost about 800$ give or take what the shop will charge for labor. This is not a favorable scenario so please don't take the frustration out on my rating :) I am trying to help. I hope this information helps. What usually happens is the key wears and also the lock cylinder tabs wear so it does not fully release the cylinder to allow it to turn. Sometimes some wd40 and a lot of wiggling will allow it to turn one last time so it can be easily removed. Other than that it will have to be cut out. Let me know if you need any further information I will do my best to assist. Lou P. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've tried both keys the car only has 22,000 miles on it they're both like brand-new

ok, have you tried wiggling the steering wheel at the same time you try to unlock the ignition?