Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 23 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I have a Mercedes GL 420 since about 9 years with now nearly

Customer Question

I have a Mercedes GL 420 since about 9 years with now nearly 300.000 km on the counter.
Very comfortable car but the Torque convector had to be replaced twice : once at 150.000 km and now again.
Is this normal or is this engine too powerful for the transmission system ? Does this failure often occurs with this type ?
As far as I know this type of engine is not available any more (why ?) : only a GL 350 is on the market in Europe.
Can anyone answer my question ? I would be grateful ,
Paul
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

the main issue is the Mercedes practice of not replacing the transmission oil / fluid , as their practice of 'sealed for life' basically means the life of the torque convertor.....

if you replace the oil with fresh every 40-50K miles then the transmission will all last considerably longer

and the 420 engine variant is no longer available at couldn't be made to pass the latest Euro 6 emissions standards

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you