Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2004 mercedes e500 and it went into limp mode. I

Customer Question

I have a 2004 mercedes e500 and it went into limp mode. I scanned it and it said speed sensor, so Im wondering if I have to change just the speed sensor or the valve body as well
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: What do you think?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no, I have a mechanic
JA: OK! The Mercedes Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: Are you saying only the mercedes dealers can fix this issue?
JA: No. I'm the Mercedes Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: oh I'm sorry
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, on a 2004 you cannot replace just the speed sensor you must replace the electro-hydraulic control unit that mounts to the top of the valve body. You do not need to replace the entire valve body.

Let me know if you need anything else. Please remember to rate my service in order for Just Answer to credit me for my help.