Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

My 2004 clk key won't turn in the ignition. Nor will it

Customer Question

my 2004 clk key won't turn in the ignition. Nor will it unlock and lock my car
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: when I open the car door the interior light does come on
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercedes Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Even though the lights come on when the door is opened you may still have a weak battery that can cause this here.If you can try to put a battery charger on the battery or a jump start then insert the key and see if it turns.If it does then the battery needs tested to see if it is faulty needing replaced.

If this does not work the most common cause is the key itself.When it fails to unlock the doors as well as turn in the ignition this is usually the key itself at fault as these are two separate signals from the key and both are not working generally pointing to the key at fault.

You would need to obtain a new key from a dealer (as this is the only option and it will come pre programmed ready for your vehicle) and they can order it in over night for you.You will need to show them vehicle registration and photo ID in order for them to order it in.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete