Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

Rob, 98 c230 won't turn on, also when smart key is on dash

Customer Question

Rob, 98 c230 won't turn on, also when smart key is on dash reads -730.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think the alarm needs to be reset, I disconnected battery, and re-connected it, to see if it would reset itself.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercedes Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 9 months ago.

Hello, the -730 means the service is past due and will not affect the car. that can be erased easily

to tell if the alarm is active, close the drivers door and lock and unlock it with the remote or key and see if the car will not start. let me know, Lou P.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Key remotes opens and locks doors, and everything else, but it won't turn car on.

WHEN you turn the key to crank does the car in fact crank? just not start?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, no crank.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It seems to have a security feature that is not allowing it to crank over.

OK, the security will only stop the fuel pump activation. so the issue will be :

1. ignition switch
  2. k40 relay assembly
  3. starter wiring
  4. starter
  5. trans position switch

so first thing i suggest is to check for power at the starter when cranking. then back track.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it doesn't have a kill switch? My other car, Ford, has a switch I can hold down for 10 seconds, then it cranks over, here same situation but won't crank, everything else turns on.

NO sir no kill switch , UNLESS you are not using the factory remote and someone installed a aftermarket item which is rare cause mercedes are not that easy to install aftermarket add ons. this will be a good old fashioned starter circuit issue.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well is there a fuse that might be blown, that could have disabled starting.

yes, i am gathering the whole circuit for you for your and my reference.

ok so while my computer is taking its time, open up the black housing on the passenger side of the engine bay and you will find a hidden fuse box . fuse 1 is the starter relay fuse. check that fuse.

cancel that its fuse 3 my apologies

i will have to leave soon and will try to be back on tonight but it may be a little later, but i will see all of your replies so feel free to upload as much info as possible.,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, thanks

here are the documents, let me know if you have issues opening and interpreting them, if you have any questions please ask i will do my best to help you.

actually im losing my mind today, sorry end of day and end of month paperwork

ok so check fuses 3. and fuse 10 in the drivers side fuse box in the engine bay. BUT you still need to access the passenger fuse box for the K40 relay.

so on the fuse box in the passenger side engine bay there will be a green wire with a red stripe and a pink wire with a red stripe , they will be next to each other in a connector. the green wire will be the ground from the ecm when cranking and the red wire is the positive voltage also when cranking. that is the first thing we check after checking the fuses. ok i have to go l will check back later. Lou P.