Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I have a great 1999 MB 230slk. Its recurrent problem is the

Customer Question

Hi! I have a great 1999 MB 230slk. Its recurrent problem is the passenger window will stick in the up position and stay stuck for days or weeks, then will operate again for an indefinite time before it freezes upward again.I think (with no knowledge!) the window rises a tad too much and overrides some sort of anti-rattler inside that then won't let it go down. I hate to get the tiny torx (or whatever it is) to undo the screws at the inside rear...and I'm too cheap to turn it loose at the dealer @ $140/hour! Any ideas?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.

how often do you drive the car ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Almost daily--about 7500 miles/year
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It has 108k miles which is pretty low for 16 years old...well kept by 1 owner.

Ok cause if the battery gets low the Windows will lose their position. Also check to make sure the switches on the door jambs are not sticking as they would not allow the Windows to work correctly

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Left window works fine. So it's not a battery issue. Even when it's stuck, the right window drops down maybe a quarter inch before being hung up by something inside the window. ,Push the button up and the window goes up that last quarter inch.
You can do this indefinitely, then for no reason it will work again . But there IS a reason! SOMETHING is blocking the free movement of that window! One more thing...it seems to go up a tiny bit too far when it goes up all the way.

OK i see what you are saying, do you hear ant crunching type noise when this happens? does the motor sound like it want to work ? so far it sounds like the door panel must come off and the window regulator must be inspected. the torx are cheap you can buy them at any parts store and the door panels are fairly easy to remove. i can forward you the instructions if that seems like something you want to tackle? so just let me know and ill do what i can to help but there is nothing that should keep it up unless it is binding against something internally.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, Lou: There is no scraping sound from the window; it just stops 1/4" down from the top when it decides not to work. WHAT SIZE TORX WRENCH do those tiny screws take? Yes, I can use the door panel removal instructions. Opening it up should show me the problem. I am also trying to find a ghost drawing or cutaway of the window and its mechanism online.

ok i will send over the documents and the torx should be like a t10 t15 or t20 those are the common ones used

hope these help. Lou P.