Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Trunk will not open by either by key or interior swith on

Customer Question

Trunk will not open by either by key or interior swith on MBZ S430 2000.
Is there a perticular fuse in the back right seat that needs to be replaced or a fuse in the front left hood box?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 9 months ago.

Hi, fuse 62 in the rear fuse box can be removed for 10 seconds to reset the PSE module in the trunk. Resetting the module may allow the interior trunk release to work. I've attached a fuse box diagram below.

Expert:  Marty replied 9 months ago.

If the fuse is blown it should be replaced but usually you just need to remove the fuse for 10 seconds to reset the PSE module so the trunk release will work again.

Let me know if it works for you.

Marty

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Marty,If a fuse needs to be taken out for 10 seconds, which particular one is it that would affect the trunk release from the key fob, driver's door button? Would it be in the hood or would it be located in the back left seat??
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Which fuse" do I need to remove the fuse for 10 seconds to reset the PSE module so the trunk release will work again.
Expert:  Marty replied 9 months ago.

I sent you a diagram of the rear fuse box located below the rear seat cushion. Did you click on the attachment?

Expert:  Marty replied 9 months ago.

I have sent it again. Click on the attachment below.

Expert:  Marty replied 9 months ago.

Did you receive the attachment with the fuse box diagram?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I got it Marty... There was a delay in my email...
I took it out for the10 seconds but to no affect. I do however hear some thing actuating once I use my key fob trunk release but to no avail.
What would be plan B at this point? I still cannot open my trunk :(
Expert:  Marty replied 9 months ago.

Try the key blade again. Insert the key and turn it fully counterclockwise and hold it in that position then try pushing in on the button to open the trunk. You have to hold the key in the counterclockwise position (about 10 o'clock) when pushing the button. You might also try having a helper press the trunk release button in the car while you pull up on the trunk lid in case something is stuck in the latch.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Marty,
Unfortunately, this must be bigger than a "fuse"...
I guess I'll have to take it in; what else could it be?
Expert:  Marty replied 9 months ago.

It most likely a failed trunk lock assembly. If you are hearing something when you press the key fob it would indicate that the PSE module is trying to open the lock but the lock must have an internal leak and will not release. You should be able to override the lock using the key blade however. Sometimes the mechanism is reluctant to work due to lack of use. We can usually get the trunk open in the shot with some persistence working the mechanical key in the lock. I've attached the instructions for using the key just to be sure you are doing it properly.