MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

Morning, have a 2000 S500 with 250K miles, runs dandy,

Customer Question

Morning, have a 2000 S500 with 250K miles, runs dandy, recently upon startup in the A.M. the Compressor will sound like grinding gears. I know it's the air suspension pump because when the vehicle rises and if finished it sounds like a slight air dump, and then a heavy "Clunk" sound.
So, that grinding clunk sound that sometimes happens upon cold start up is my concern.
My mechanic says I have a small leak in the air suspension. Wondering best fix ideas, or what to look for as possible problem. Again she's got the miles on her, but well maintained since day 1.
Kindly, LCD
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

so yes if you hear grinding and the compressor is loud, you are going to want to change the compressor, about the leaks, have you seen the suspension fall at all??