Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

10/05 cls55, how do you replace yaw sensor? Installed a new

Customer Question

For a 10/05 cls55, how do you replace yaw sensor?
Installed a new one( under passenger seat) and it will not report data ( both fields)
Is there a pairing process? Code on scanner still shows its defective
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I went with a 2006 on this model here due to the build date and that Mercedes didnt make a CLS 55 in 2005.

There isnt a calibration procedure for this sensor here after it is replaced.It is a simple remove and install then clear out the codes and road test the vehicle to see if it is operating and to see if a code sets again for it.If you get the same code again and the sensor was replaced with a good sensor this indicates either the wiring or connection at or leading to the sensor is faulty with either a poor fit connection,damaged or corroded wiring as this will cause this issue here.

The signal for this sensor (combo sensor) is sent to the ESP control unit itself.The only other issue if the wiring is found to be o.k. is an internal electrical fault in the ESP control unit itself with it needing replaced.

Most of the time though when the sensor is replaced and does not correct the fault the issue is the wiring being pinched or damaged around the seat area that needs repaired.The wiring does need traced and checked to locate and repair the fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank for your reply,We found :-All wiring to yaw is correct
-we have ground, 12switched from esp unit, and both can h/L
-when disconnecting yaw, a " no connection" code appears for yawMainly, after your reply I feel that when the customer replaced the esp box Prior To my work( discarded original!) to repair a faulty wheel sensor( resolved later by me at wheel) that it was the cause of this esp issue. This new sensor should report but maybe esp box is not readyIs there a code that should appear to confirm this issue? ( using a Autel meter)If so.. How can I program the current dsp box( correct part/different vin) to this car?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Most likely the ESP box is not coded correctly.I have seen this before several times.This has to be done with a dealers SDS machine unfortunately as no other scan tool or machine can do this.I know a dealer will usually charge around an hours labor to have this done.With the correct signals and a disconnect signal from the sensor the only thing this can be is incorrectly coded/programmed esp module or the new sensor is faulty.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is a SDS a Star Diagnostic Tool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sent a photo of ESP software and code
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any thoughts?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

The sds is the star diagnostic tool

Did you find out if the ESP was programmed/coded at all to this model here correctly with the sds machine?If it was not and it was simply just installed this needs done first and can cause this issue here.With all that has been done I would have this done.My info will not tell me if this is the correct software installed on your model here unfortunately and the only way this can be done is with the sds machine plugged in to check it.

Thanks Pete