Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

ML350: wont unlock.. batery is dead, spare blade key does

Customer Question

ML350: wont unlock.. batery is dead, spare blade key does not work either. I've tried pulling on handle, norhing. Any suggestions?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the blade key turning in the cylinder at all in either direction?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fist time using this webpage, I didn't see your response until now.
Blade key turns maybe 5 degrees cc wise, I pull fast on handle, norhing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing happens, please tell how could I access any of the doors, trunk, hood?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Pete, are you there?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,in some cases the cylinder can bind when turning with the metal key blade due to lack of use.Try spraying a small amount of lubricant into the cylinder hole then let it sit for about an hour then try and work the key in the cylinder hole to release the lock to then open the door so the battery can be accessed to be re charged or replaced.

If this does not work you will either have to have mercedes roadside assistance come out and unlock it with their tools as they can in some cases or a lock smith or AAA company will have to come out and unlock it with their tools as this is usually the only other option.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try the lubricant and let you know. Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete,
The lubricant was essential in unlocking the ML350 with a dead batery however, I have to emphasize that the actual position of the key is paramount on unlocking the vehicle. According to the picture on the manual, as it isn't written, shows the skinny key inserted pointing the outside angle of the key down. The door did not unlocked when the key was position with the outside angle pert of the key up.Thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Did the vehicle unlock with the key at all when you attempted this?

Let me know,thanks Pete.