Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Have a 1988 mercedes 560sl just changed out the power

Customer Question

Have a 1988 mercedes 560sl just changed out the power steering pump test drove car ran perfect this morning i started it warming it up for bout 15 minutes then it started idealing rough tried to give it gas won't take gas does bout the same as idle rough turn key off let it sit 5 minutes started right up no rough idle ran it up to 2000 rpm ran smooth let on gas rev it up was fine let off gas again let idle then in bout 3 minutes started idle rough or take gas pedel again turn it off starts right up
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

When you say idling rough, do you mean going up and down erratically or more like an engine misfire?

If idling up and down erratically, we need to first check for any vacuum lines that may have cracks or splits in them. When it is idling up and down, spray each one with some carb cleaner. If the idle smooths out when one is sprayed, that is your culprit and needs to be replaced.

If it is more like a misfire, let me know